Saturday, April 14, 2012

Floral Tunic- Class/Easter

This morning I had a class with a young women who is really interested in fashion and wanted to learn how to sew her own clothes. I love that. The project we did was a simple tunic. I'll admit that the projects they have available for the classes aren't as trendy as a younger crowd may like, but they are good introductions to sewing. Besides, this pattern included a belt she could make if she really wanted to.

It's a pretty simple design with a yoke in the front and the back, pleats under the yoke on both the front and back, 3/4 length sleeves, and a hem that hits just below the hips. The fabric I chose is a cotton floral print that had a texture of small nubs on the entire fabric. The vibrancy of the print doesn't allow you to see the pleats very well in the picture, but they add the fullness to the tunic. I also created my own bias tape to attach around the neckline.
Front View- Yoke with Pleats

Back View-Yoke with Pleats
 The pattern also included instructions for a belt to go with the shirt. It's a simple belt, which I used material I had leftover from the Felt Flower Pillow I made. The tan went perfectly with the colors of the shirt. I used the extra self-made bias tape to make the ties for the belt.

View 1 with Belt- Ties brought to front
View 2 with Belt- Ties in back


This Pattern is Simplicity 2147 View C Tunic and D Belt

I always make the actual project for the student to look at when they are working so I had this made about a week ago. That means I was able to wear it for Easter too!! I love that I get to do that.
~JV

No comments:

Post a Comment