Monday, August 1, 2011

Wedding Dress #2

Charlene of Unique Weddings and Events recently opened a new store in April and asked me to design and create another wedding dress to display for the grand opening. I was really excited about it but put it off until the last minute. So basically I had two weeks to design and make this dress. Looks like I pulled it off!

When I designed this dress, I took inspiration from the first wedding dress I created. It is a one shouldered gown with princess seams. The main difference is that the bodice hits at the waist and the ruffles start below the knee. But you can tell that they are definitely not the same dress.

Side view of the top.

I also created a belt to fit over the waist seam. It was my first attempt at hand beading so it is a little scarce, but I still like how it turned out. It snapped close in the back.

Charlene said she wanted a more avant garde look to this dress so I created an exaggerated shoulder detail that flows down the back of the dress. The top of the strap has interfacing in it to keep it stiff and help with the fullness. It was tricky to figure out how to put it all together, but I love working things out, playing with the fabric, and seeing the end result (especially after seeing the failed attempts)

The ruffles are a horizontal design with five tiers. It also has tulle underneath to make the ruffles pop more.

I absolutely love this dress and despite creating it in such a short period of time, I enjoyed every minute of making it.

I'm excited to see what the future holds with opportunities of creating more wedding dresses. I never thought that's what I would get into, but I'm not complaining. It's a lot of fun!!

~JV

No comments:

Post a Comment