Thursday, July 7, 2011

Dresses of Summer- Beach Wear

This weekend I am going camping with friends and family so I wanted to post a dress that I know I'll be wearing.

This dress is a pink knit that I bought last year and had actually started making then. The idea was a lot different then what I ended up making. It was originally going to have a full top, gathered all around. I just couldn't figure out what I really wanted so I set it aside. A couple weeks ago, as a rummaged through my fabric searching for something to inspire me, I came across this hardly even started creation. Cutting, shaping, adding elastic here and there, and this is what I came up with.

 I added gathered strips of the knit to the front for a summer flare.
I'm actually thinking of adding more for a fuller look.

The back has elastic shirring, which involves adding elastic thread to the bobbin (which goes on the wrong side of the fabric). It adds a good amount of stretch so I could make it a little smaller then my size and still have it fit comfortably. It's also pretty quick to do so this dresses didn't take long at all to make.

I've worn this a couple times this summer, I love it because it's a cute summer color and very comfortable. I've got that elastic shirring down pat now, so I can make a lot more dresses, in a short amount of time.

~JV

No comments:

Post a Comment